Nathaniel Nyaluza Public Secondary School (South Africa)
Nathaniel Nyaluza Public Secondary School was established in 1938 as the
first high school to serve the residents of Fingo Village on the eastern
slopes of the hills surrounding Grahamstown, South Africa. Due to
limitations enforced by the old education system in South Africa, prior to
its establishment, students from Fingo Village who wished to attend high
school and further their studies were forced to attend boarding schools
outside of Grahamstown.
The Methodist church made the first classroom available to the school,
which was then known as the Native Secondary School. Mr B. Mahlasela, the
school's first teacher, took the first form one class and taught the
students all six of the subjects on offer.
As with any prominent school of long standing tradition, Nyaluza lists
among its alumni some well known local figures. For example, the current
MEC for Housing, Local Government, Traditional Affairs for the province of
the Eastern Cape, Mr G Nkwinti, matriculated at Nyaluza in 1971.[home page]
This is a prestigious school, it is a Department of Education Dinaledi school and two other schools in Grahamstown East are named after former headmasters of Nathaniel Nyaluza (Benjamin Mahlasela & T.E.M. Mrhwetyana). Learners are very proud of their school. Since 2005 at least one learner from the school has achieved a distinction in the matric examinations.
Eastern Cape, South Africa